Friday, October 19, 2012

Changing the Changing Table

Remember that Vintage Dresser my Mom won at the auction? Well, we've decided to use it in Baby B's room. This has created a slight decorating challenge for me. I was able to find a crib that pretty much matches the style and color of the dresser. Although Babi Italia sells a dresser that can double as a changing table it would be too much furniture for Baby B's room. The problem now was finding a changing table that kind of looks like it goes with everything else, and not paying an arm and a leg for it.

Last month while perusing Craigslist I came across a changing table that might fit the bill. The style was very similar, and the price was just right at $25 for the whole shebang (it retails for $129). Even though the color wasn't right, I pulled the trigger and bought it. Worst case senario I could re-sell it on Craigslist or put it out for sale at one of our quarterly garage sales.


She's been sitting in our garage while I've been debating what to do with it. I pondered sanding and staining it, painting it green, white, grey or oil rubbed bronze. My first choice was to stain it but I've never stained anything before, and it seemed like way too much work. I'm all about easy peasy these days. My next choice was to paint it green.


I actually found a spray paint color that matched the fabric pattern we are using for the crib bedskirt, and rocking chair pad. That was until I found a pink minky changing pad cover that I lurrrrrved. So I nixed the green, and white paint idea.


I somewhat settled on Oil Rubbed Bronze. I say somewhat because right before I started painting, I asked Chad "Oooh, what about grey?" He said he liked the ORB, so I got to painting.



While I was waiting for the paint to dry, I ended up actually painting (not spraying) the top shelf of the table. It was N to the asty gross.


I let everything dry a full day and a half before putting it all back together. I also opted not to put back the 2nd shelf so that the diaper pail could fit on the bottom shelf. I'm saving the shelf just in case I change my mind, but so far, I think we likey.


And now for the Frugalista Cost Breakdown:

Changing Table & Pad = $25.00
ORB Spray Paint: $12.30
Gloves & Mask: $6.43
White Paint: Free (had on hand)
---------------------------------------
Total Cost: $43.73

I can't wait to get her into Baby B's room, and see how she looks with everything set up.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Made by Lena