Friday, October 26, 2012

Wanna Wrestle?

As if trying to find the perfect Halloween costume isn't hard enough, imagine trying to find one when you are pregnant.

Last year I had a creative stroke of genius when I decided what my costume would be. If ya'll don't remember, I was a blow up doll. It was a total hit too.

This year was a tad more difficult trying to find something that I could incorporate my ever growing bump with. I scoured the interwebs for ideas. Mostly I came up with some lame-o ideas that mostly included painting your bump. Eh, it's been done before. My original thought was to do a trailer park trash lady with a big beer gut, but my bump was becoming more round and less flabberiffic so I didn't think it would look right. Some other ideas I came across that were cute were the baby skeleton on the shirt, and the bun in the oven costume. Cute, but not Erica. And then I saw it.


I could totally do this. I already had the unitard from my blow up doll costume, so all I would have to do is the underoos, nipples and hair. I was sold. I had Chad pull down the unitard and tried it on. Thank you Joseph Shrivers for creating Spandex! It still fit!

The hardest part was trying to figure out how to make the sumo thong. I wanted it to be as authentic as possible so I called my Mom to help me with the logistics. We had planned to make one while she was up for the baby shower but with my sister's surprise visit, it became a non-priority. I started to worry how I was going to manage to make this thing by myself without it looking like a total mess. Then I had a lightbulb moment.

With Sisqo's Thong Song ringing in my head I ran to my nicker drawer, and fished out a pair of black thongs. Again, thank you Joseph Shrivers, because my thong still fit.

My costume was almost done. I ran off to the craft store and picked up some felt fabric for a whopping $0.37 to make my nipples. I debated on going to the Halloween store to pick up a Sumo wig but then remembered how itchy the blonde wig I wore last year was. My solution? I didn't wash my hair for three days. Or maybe it was four. Gross, I know. Either way, my lovely hair oils helped to slick up my hair to a very high pony tail thing without using a ton of gel and hairspray that would ultimately make my sumo hair into a sumo helmet.

Now, it was the moment of truth. Would my costume be as big of a hit as it was last year?



That would be a yes. And, apparently it was better. Now, I'm worried how I am going to even come close to something as creative next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Made by Lena