Thursday, November 3, 2011

Going Once, Going Twice, SOLD!

The other month the Hubbers and I traveled South to visit my parental units. It ended up being a very expensive trip.

We arrived on a Friday afternoon, early enough for Ma and Pa to take us to their favorite Friday Night Hot-Spot. Their newest thing to do is auction hunting. It isn't like the stuff you see on television though. It is more like an estate sale but either way they have a ton of fun going to these things.

The Auction
So we perused the items being auctioned and settled then in to watch the games. We all were guessing at what amount some items would end up selling for, such as the leather turtle ottoman. That baby sold for $300. Don't ask, I don't know either.

In addition to the turtle they sold vases, a baker's rack, a dining room table, a hutch, some dishes and a bunch of other chotchkies. There wasn't anything that I wanted so after about an hour I was ready to hit the road. Just as we were getting ready to leave I heard the auctioneer say the next item to be auctioned was this vintage chest. I put the breaks on since I really wanted to find out how much this piece would sell for.

And the bidding starts at $100. Do I hear $100?

Ma to Me: You like that?
Me: Yeah, it's neat, although I don't need it.
Ma: But you like it, right?
Me: Yeah.
Ma to Auctioneer: $100!
Another Bidder: $150!
Me to Ma: Don't go over $200.
Bidder: $200!
Auctioneer: Do I hear $250?
----Silence----
Auctioneer: Do I hear $225?
Ma: $225!
Auctioner: Going once, twice, sold!
Me to Ma: Now what?
Ma: Well, you take your credit card over there and you pay for it.

And that is how I became the proud owner of a 1950's John Stuart Mahogany Chest, courtesy of my Mother.

So what is the moral of this story? Don't go auctions with my mother. She likes spending other people's money and boy is she good at it.

Ma's 1st Auction Win: $7
Erica's 1st Auction Win, Courtesy of Ma: $225

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Made by Lena