Thursday, September 8, 2011

I've Been Bamboozled

Ever have decorating-block? I don't know why I have such great ideas for others but when it came to our house I had a good case of decorating-block.

The corner of our bedroom is a lonely one. I attempted to fill in the oh-so-lonesome place with a mirror once. It didn't work. I vowed to myself not to look at that dark and dreary hole until we got some new furniture. Well, the furniture came and our little junction was still without a function.

The Old Lonely Corner
The New Old Lonely Corner
My Aunt suggested that we get something big and tall, like a faux bamboo tree. Why didn't I think of that?! Duh! I went searching for a faux bamboo tree which is a lot easier said then done. First of all I couldn't find any at our nearby stores and secondly the ones I saw online were a ton of money which I was not willing to spend on a tree, especially one that wasn't even real.

In a last ditch effort I dragged my unwilling husband to Old Time Pottery. I found a pretty good selection of trees that didn't scream "I'm fake!" like a set of new shiny boobays. We did find a fake bamboo but it was quite wimpy. I almost settled on a ficus but it just feel right. I think faux plants look great in other people's houses but I just couldn't picture one in mine.

I left Chad to play Angry Birds while I went from end to end at OTP looking for ideas for our holy hole. I found some super tall sticks which made me remember this twiggy thing I saw at Ikea.

Ikea Insipration
With my husband and sticks in tow I was off to find a vase which I soon found out was even more difficult than finding a faux tree. Since the sticks were so lengthy I needed a tall vase so the whole thing wouldn't topple over but one with an opening that wasn't so ginormous like a planter.

As much as Chad hates to go decor shopping with me, this is exactly why I drag him with me ... I miracously found a tall enough vase for the sticks at Home Goods. Hooray! That was until it rolled off the back of the seat and shattered into a bunch of tiny effing pieces. I had to go to another Home Goods on the opposite side of town to find another one but this time around  I wasn't taking any chances. Safety first!



After all that hoopla this is what I was left with. The Leaning Tower of Twiza. Sure the vase will stand up and not wobble on a flat, hard surface but carpet? That would be a no-go.

The Leaning Tower of Twiza


The good news is that I spotted not one but two faux bamboo trees in the 2nd Home Goods store. With promises of candy and back rubs I got Chad to come with me to check out the trees and we got one! Was it love at first sight? No, more like like-at-first-sight. We are still in the "getting to know you" stages of dating but so far it is starting to look like the beginning of a nice relationship.

The New New Not-So-Lonely Corner


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Made by Lena