Sunday, September 5, 2010

Going Bananas!


Every week when I go to the grocery store I get bananas. They are one of my favorite foods. They are yummy, convenient, and are full of vitamins and potassium. Problem is I don't like really ripe bananas and they ripen so fast so I end up throwing some away which is such a waste of food and money. As I was about to throw this weekss too ripe bananas away I had a thought (a rare occurrence if you ask my Dad). I'll make banana bread!

If you recall, I'm not so talented when it comes to the baking aspect of cooking but the only way to get better is through practice. No mishaps this time and my Dad and Husband honestly looked a little surprised at how great it tasted. So here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, sifted
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 2 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 very ripe bananas, peeled and mashed (about 1 cup)
  • 1/2 cup crushed walnuts
  • Solid vegetable shortening (Crisco)

Directions:

Put flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a bowl and set aside. In separate bowl whisk the eggs and vanilla together and set aside. Lightly Crisco the inside of your loaf pan (8x8x4) and preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.

In a standing mixer, or with an electric hand held mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually pour the egg mixture into the butter while mixing until incorporated then add the bananas.

With a rubber spatula, mix in the flour mixture until just incorporated. Fold in the nuts and transfer to loaf pan. Bake for 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.

Cool bread in the pan for 5 minutes. Turn the bread of out the pan and let cool completely on a wire rack.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Made by Lena