Friday, June 3, 2011

The Last Supper

A joyous time! A well deserved vacation, cruising the Pacific on an Alaskan Cruise. It was just what we needed. So what does one do for a week on a luxurious ship with endless amounts of food, booze and entertainment? That would be to eat, drink and be merry!

To prepare my body, stomach and soul for this trip I stepped up my work out regimen two weeks before we set sail. I cycled my little legs off and worked my core in pilates. With all the stair climbing, walking, and hiking that we planned to do I was determined not to over indulge that much but, I did. I ate new and exciting things like pheasant and mussels but I stayed away from the soup with tripe. Thank gawd I asked about that one. Tripe is the stomach lining of animals. I still can't fathom that one.

"This soup is too thin and watery. What can I add to thicken it Stuart?"
Stuart holds up cow intestines, shrugs his shoulders and asks Martha, "How about this?"
"Yes, that will work!" Martha replies.

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. I digress. But not even the mention of tripe can steer me away from eating and eating we did do. Buttermilk pancakes, crazy good pizza, crusty bread, fresh fruit, hot chocolate, Caesar salads, yummy asparagus, salmon, haddock, lobster tails, filet mignon, cheesecake, banana ice cream and much more. I told myself that the amount of calories I was consuming was being offset by the amount of walking we were doing. Oh the lies I tell myself including that what I eat standing up doesn't count. It probably didn't help that my Rule of Thumb on how to not overindulge (when the sun goes down, put the fork down) was extended to past 9pm due to do the Midnight Sun. By the 6th night my pants had enough.

Quoting Weird Al, I sing:

If you see me comin' your way
Better give me plenty space
If I tell you that I'm hungry
Then won't you feed my face
Because I'm fat, I'm fat, sha mone
You know I'm fat, I'm fat, you know it, you know
And my shadow weighs 42 pounds
Lemme tell you once again who's fat.

Whoops. Missed a buckle, or did I?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Made by Lena